Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fall Break Photo-journal: 10/19 - 10/28

My Fall Break consisted of the Perugia Chocolate Festival and London. Lots of chocolate, lots of chai tea, and lots of Shakespeare. What could be better? (Answer: warm hands. That would have made life better. It suddenly got cold and I can't feel my hands 60% of the time.) Anyway, pictures (though you've seen some of them already).

Caitlin and me, with our chocolate covered apples in Perugia.

Maggie and me, with the Popcorn Snax guy in Perugia.

Maggie and me, with the Lindt Bears.

(L to R) Maggie, Cathy, me, and Caitlin with the Lindt Bears in Perugia.

Chocolate Lego bricks in Perugia.

The Perugian countryside.

The fountain in the town center of Perugia.
Gelato in London!

Alison and me, pre- Timon of Athens.

Drink all the chai!

The Rosetta Stone.

British Museum swag!

Program from Timon of Athens at the National Theater.

We saw "Shakespeare: Staging the World" at the British Museum!

Requisite phonebooth picture.

I also did my pilgrimage to the Globe.

"A Mi-Voix" by Dorothea Tanning at the Tate Modern.

Self-portrait along the Thames.

The Jubilee Greenway along the South Bank.

Fall colors on the South Bank.

Happy Anna! Chai latte and Shakespeare swag.

Fall leaves!

Alison and I had lunch at Walkabout, an Australian Pub & Grill.
I had kangaroo steak and it was delicious.

First Folio!

Big Ben!

Alison with Shakespeare, at the Globe.

Me, with Shakespeare, at the Globe.

The Globe's 2012 season, which just closed.

Me, at the Globe stage!

The Globe Theater.

On the bridge!

Sassy Parthenon frieze.

The "Money in Shakespeare's Plays" mini-exhibit at the British Museum.


And there you have it. My week in pictures. But before I go, a few more small updates. One, it is now cold and rainy here, if you didn't get that from what I wrote at the beginning. All prospective Florence term students should take note: bring a nice, strong umbrella and a WARM COAT. And boots/shoes that are solidly waterproof. Seriously. Two, a short story from my plane ride over to London. I was not in a very good mood when I got on the plane (mostly because the security/customs officers in Florence decided that I was a very suspicious character -- me! Imagine that for a second) but that changed when I discovered that the nice British lady and her son sitting behind me were having some truly wonderful conversations. They started the flight off with a thorough explanation of the marriage and annulment of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon. Then mid-flight they moved on to a discussion of the use of spondees and dactyls in sonnets (the English major in me was quite pleased). Towards landing time, when the little boy pulled out his gum, they entered a new discussion, which also involved the boy's aunt (at least, I think it was his aunt). Below is the dialog, because I find it truly hilarious.


Boy: *gets out his pack of gum*
Mom: may I have a piece, dear?
Boy: *gives her a piece*
Aunt: may I have a piece, too?
Boy: no.
Mom: now, dear, that's not very polite. You should always share when you can.
Boy: but I don't want to share with her. If she wanted gum she should have brought her own!
Mom: darling, when someone asks you for something like a piece of gum, the only proper response is "why of course my dear!"
Boy: *grumbles a little, but gives the Aunt a piece of gum because he's really a pretty nice kid.*
Mom: you know, dear, when someone has to ask for something so many times, it often becomes meaningless. Like a kiss. If you have to ask for a kiss, then it doesn't really mean much.
Boy: *suspicious* does it work like that for any other things?
Mom: oh yes, of course. Like sausages.
Boy: that's not right, Mummy.
Mom: why not, dear?
Boy: because sausages, no matter when you get them, are always delicious.
Mom: you're quite right, darling. I'm very sorry.

And that was my plane ride to London. That charming family and their talk of kings, sonnets, and sausages pretty much made my flight (or day).

Now it's nose to the grindstone for a bit to prepare for school in the morning. Crepi il Lupo!

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate lego bricks...probably the best combination EVER! Love the discussion you related; too fun. Chai tea is God's gift to cold people. Just saying...and I'm so glad you had fun in London. Enjoy your travels...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stories made me laugh and smile! Thank you Anna. It looks like you had a glorious time over break. :) Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thank you for all your comments! I told Isa today that they always make me smile :)

      Delete