Friday, July 6, 2012

Bergen, Day 5

*originally written 7/2*

We decided to sleep in this morning and got a slow start to our last day in Bergen. On our way out, we took a rather serendipitous turn down an alley in Bryggen that brought us to a nice little shop where we ended up getting Norwegian sweaters for all of us! In my "what the heck" moment of the day, I discovered that an authentic medium reindeer skin was cheaper than a sweater. Let me just stock up on reindeer skins....

After some shopping, we took the bus to Gamle Bergen (an old world, living museum type place) and walked around for a while. A short tour that we joined took us into one of the fancy gentleman's country houses, then an old fashioned dentist and doctor's office (boy, am I glad that my wisdom teeth are coming out in 2012 and not 1850...). I also tried a Freia skakolade (chocolate) bar... mmm, mmm, good!

The view outside the dentist office... not bad!

Back at our apartment, it was leftovers for dinner before packing our suitcases, and going down to Fisketorget for ice cream. There was a weird country duo playing music in the harbor area... it was strange to hear "Sweet Home Alabama" sung by a guy with a British accent in Norway. Oh well, my strawberry ice cream was excellent all the same! Mom and I also stopped to touch the ocean. Brr! It was so cold!

"Sweet Home Alabama"
Hanging out in Bryggen!
I'll miss this. Bye, Bryggen!

All in all, a fine last day in Bergen. I'll miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment