Friday, July 6, 2012

Oslo, Day 1

*originally written 7/3*

Another early morning. We were at the harbor in Bergen by 7:20 to catch our ferry boat for Flåm. This boat takes us up Sognefjord (one of the longest fjords in the world!) to the little railroad town of Flåm. This was leg one of a trip from Bergen to Oslo called Norway in a Nutshell. We ran into cousins Steve, Nancy, Lindsay, and Jon in one of the gift shops and end up sitting next to them on the train. More family time!

The fjord trip was beautiful (standing in the wind at the front of the boat was break-taking - literally), but I think the train trip was even more so. Seeing the Kjosfossen Waterfall was amazing and the highlight of the train ride, for me. With all the pictures of mountains, waterfalls, rocks, and valleys, I ran my camera out of battery. (It was fully charged the night before, I swear!)

One of the towns we passed on the way to Flåm.
Me and Dad in the back of the boat, where it was less windy :)

Mountains!

The amount of foliage was amazing.

Almost to Flåm!

Kjossfossen waterfall (with Dad, for perspective).

Another cascade and stream by the Flåm railroad.

Once in Myrdal, where the Flåm railroad stopped, we took a high speed train through the mountains to a station just outside of Oslo. (Since this is such a short post, I figured I'd include a lot of pictures!) The central station in Oslo is currently under construction, so all passengers to Oslo were diverted to a bus that drove us into the city.

The stark contrast in weather we saw on the train from Myrdal to Oslo.

I have developed a cold (and we're not sure how), so due to a really sore throat, I have been popping vitamin C throat drops and cough drops all day. If the nutrition label on the package is to be trusted, I have had about 1000% of my daily value of vitamin C today. Whew.

Once in Oslo, we check into our hotel and, once again, collapse in exhaustion. Tomorrow we are faced with the challenge of seeing all of Oslo in one day, as we fly home on July 5. We'll see how we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment