Friday, July 6, 2012

Homeward Bound

*originally written 7/5*


I woke up at 3:00 this morning. Uff da.

We took the 4:10 Flybussen to the Oslo airport, where I outmaneuvered all of the crowds and got us a good spot in the bag check line. The line for security, however, is a mile long (at 5am? WHY?!), but I maintain my perfect record for never having gone through the body scan machines or being pulled for a search. We have a while to wait before our flight at 7:30, so Mom and I hunt down a Norwegian-French bakery for pain au chocolat and a chai latte. The flight from Oslo to Stockholm is uneventful - except for when my left eardrum seems to pop and I go temporarily deaf. Also, fully erupted wisdom teeth and a bad cold plus flying do not appear to mix well, as the entire left side of my face is in intense pain.

In Stockholm, we sailed through Customs and then checked in for our flight to Chicago (at which point the guy at the desk annoys me by giving me directions for a form we didn't know existed, but is only required for American citizens, entirely in Swedish. Really? I look that Scandinavian?). Then the lady who checked me in asked if I'd voluntarily defer to a later flight, since ours was apparently overbooked, in exchange for which they'd give me $675. While the idea of $675 sounds great, I was tired and confused and still in a good bit of pain, so I told her I'm wasn't sure. I then talked it over with my parents and we decided that $675 plus a short layover in Munich doesn't sound so bad. Mom and I go up to the desk and volunteer all four of us. They ended up not needing us to switch flights, but as a thank you they told us they've changed our seat assignments... from God knows where in Economy to 1A, 1B, 1D, and 1E... first class! That's right. Free upgrade to row 1 of first class and Holy Olav was it amazing. We collectively spent the first hour of the flight in hysterics, taking pictures of everything, and repeating "we're in first class!" Total kid in the candy shop experience.

The moment we sat down, the stewardess arrived with a tray of orange juice, water, and what I thought was apple juice. My mistake - it turned out to be a 2005 Henriot Champagne. Oh well. About an hour and a half into the flight, the stewardess came by again, this time with linen tray table clothes, a hot towel, and our snack (our choice of elk sausage or cashews). Next came our first course: a green leaf salad with Italian balsamic vinegar and oil dressing, organic bread (still hot), and a plate of Swedish bleak roe (caviar), crème fraîche, dill, Caprin and Ädla cheeses, and cloudberry preserves. Once the food was down, the wine came around. I opted for a glass of 2010 Falanghina Beneventano IGT, a white wine made from a grape that was apparently a favorite of the ancient Romans (how could I resist?).

Next came our main course: I chose a pork filet (so tender!) with roasted potato wedges and sugar snap peas, in a barbecue sauce. Mom and Dad had turkey breast, mashed potatoes, and asparagus in a cream sauce, while Peter had fried cod (the best, outside of Alaska, he says), rice pilaf with mushrooms and vegetables, gremolata, and garlic butter. We're still not entirely sure what gremolata is.

After we were already fit to burst, they brought us dessert: Torta di Mele (an apple tart), ice cream, fruit salad, and the accompanying drinks (Port and Cognac). Every last bit of it was delicious. Dad asked the chef wheeling the tray if she had baked the tart herself and she replied, "of course! Just this morning!" Ok then. I think my favorite moment of the flight came when Mom leaned over to me, halfway through dessert, and said, with this mixture of glee and disbelief, "we're getting buzzed. Over Greenland." Yes, 37,000 feet above Greenland, we Heglands were having a once in a lifetime experience.

Now came the time for a nap. I pulled out the sleep mask from my "comfort kit" (which they given us pre-hot towel), hit the recline and massage buttons on my chair and proceeded to have the best three hour nap of my life. On a plane. Not only is this mind-boggling, but it made me realize that flying to Florence next month is going to suck.

When I woke up, I journaled and read for a while (all with that nice massage feature going) then listened to music until the flight attendants brought our pre-landing meal around. This time we were served venison with a mushroom, carrot, and beetroot salad, crème fraîche, and a fruit salad. Oi vey. I felt mildly under-dressed and under-cultured the entire time, but oh was it worth it.

All in all, best flight I have ever had. It also allowed me to cross an item off my bucket-list: to sit first class on an international flight. Try not to hate me too much.

2 comments:

  1. Anna, I think your accounts are just great. I can picture most everything you mention in my own mind, and it brings back such wonderful memories of Norway and the super family there. That you have taken the time to post your observations, on a very busy trip (and with a cold, to boot!) is very impressive. From all reports, yours and others, it sounds like the Reunion was a tremendous experience that will be long remembered! A friend asked me tonight when the next one will be?!!! I think it is too soon to ask the committee because they must be a little bit worn out, but tired and happy at the success, I would think. Tusen takk, Anna, for keeping us up on the blog!
    from Mary Jo in Mpls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so...... it was a mistake to read this right before lunch. I am so hungry now and mac & cheese doesn't quite seem up to par anymore.

    ReplyDelete