Sunday, September 16, 2012

Florence, Day 14

Italian class today was spent prepping for our quiz tomorrow. After last week and a surprisingly easy quiz, we're all a little worried about it. Luigi has warned us that the tests get progressively harder and we know the quiz will deal with irregular verb conjugations. Tricky stuff. However I have made flashcards and am quizzing myself almost obsessively. Fingers crossed I do well.

After lunch we met up for an optional trip up to Fiesole with Jodi. Turns out that most of the ACM group wanted to go! We walked to Piazza San Marco and caught the bus up to Fiesole, a hilltop community just outside of Florence and the site of a major archaeological dig. We're talking Roman AND Etruscan ruins. I was pretty excited. It was pretty windy on the hilltop, but still really cool.

Hanging out in the Roman amphitheater.

Jodie, leading the way to the Roman temple, situated on top
of the Etruscan temple.

I don't have many moments when I think something is breathtaking. I have moments where I think things are beautiful or I really appreciate what I'm seeing. However Fiesole was breathtaking. The ruins were incredible, the small on-site museum was filled with amazing artifacts, and the view of Florence was one of the best I have ever seen. We toured the Roman theater, the Etruscan and Roman temples, and the Roman baths, before heading inside out of the wind to the museum (which featured such items as those I've included below).

A skeleton found in the ruins, along with various burial objects.

A pottery style called "Bucchero," which refers to the black
color the pottery gains in the firing process.

After the museum we walked to the overview (which is higher up the hillside) to take in the view. So beautiful! We also timed everything just right and were able to get into the Franciscan church and monastery/museum. More cool stuff. Through mission work to other countries they've accumulated a bunch of stuff from other countries... including an entire Egyptian mummy.

(L to R) Isa, Gretchen, me, and Sarah, with Florence behind us!

We took the bus back to San Marco and then I proceeded to get a group of us back to Linguaviva quickly and efficiently - and before the group that took the bus "because it was faster" made it back. Score. Once we'd grabbed our stuff, a few of us walked to a gelateria that has been getting rave reviews in the ACM group. Clearly I had to try it out. It was indeed amazing. This place is making the list. I tried the house special, "crema di Medici," and green apple (mele verde) and I am so going back to try their other stuff. It was exactly what gelato should be: rich, creamy, and delicious.

Back at the apartment, I had a little time for homework before dinner, which was roast beef with stewed potatoes, carrots, and celery, with roasted cauliflower, fresh olives, and grapes. Plus Anna surprised us with organic chocolate raspberry gelato bars (equivalent to Dove bars)! So good. Now back to studying for that quiz tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment