Monday, September 10, 2012

Florence, Day 7

Today was spent nervously reviewing Italian nouns and verbs, conjugating "to be" and "to have," and freaking out over those pesky articles. Tomorrow is our first quiz and my entire class is worried about it. During class we reviewed things with Luigi (and I may finally understand the rules for our articolo [articles]). At break Isa, Stacy, and I went to the supermarket that's down the block from Linguaviva and bought lunch - fresh, warm bread, salami, mozzarella, a smoothie, and tiramisu for dessert.

Our afternoon ACM trip today was to San Miniato - you know, the church that I went up to last Saturday? Guess what, it's still just as beautiful. Jodi and Gail know an incredible amount about the church itself and the artwork inside. It was amazing to go inside today and see the mosaics, the frescoes, and the sculptures. Once we're finished at San Miniato, we walk as group down the hill to the Uffizi. During our walk, Jodi told us a story about a mafia bombing that occurred in the rear of the Uffizi gallery in 1993... when she was in a building not even a block away. Holy crap. Every single one of us had wide eyes after that story. Once we got to the Loggia dei Lanzi gallery (which is an open-air statue gallery), we pulled numbers out of an envelope to divide into teams for a scavenger hunt of sorts. Each team was given a location in the city, an item at that location to photograph, and a gelateria to find afterwards as a reward. My team went to Santa Croce (Holy Cross church) and was told to photograph the statue of Dante that's set up in one of the courtyards. Afterwards we went over to Gelateria Vivoli for some super good gelato (chocolate and raspberry for me).

(L to R) Chainky, me, Marie

After gelato it was time to head back to Santa Maria Novella and pick up my Italian books from Isa's host house. I ended up sticking around for a while, talking to the girls and sitting outside in the sun. Once I finally caught the bus back to my host house, it was already almost time for dinner. Anna had made minestrone soup (which, before anyone asks, is super different than the stuff Olive Garden serves), a salad of egg, tomato, and mozzarella, and grapes. We talked about food a little at dinner and I was scolded for my love of gelato. Apparently my host mom says there's too much milk in gelato for me to be having it every day. In twitter terms: YOLO. I am in Florence and I will have gelato every day. Sorry I'm stubborn. Sarah and I also managed to tell Anna what sports we did in high school. It's only been a few days, but we can already piece together a little more Italian than we could at the beginning. It's still rough, but we can stumble through dinner pretty well now. Go us.

Now to study and go to bed. Wish me luck on tomorrow's quiz!

No comments:

Post a Comment