Sunday, September 16, 2012

Florence, Day 15

I rocked that Italian quiz today.

We also got to combine with the other two ACM Italian classes and watch the first half of an Italian film called "Un Bella Vita." Apparently it gets really sad at the end, so I'll have that to look forward to *sarcasm.*

After lunch, a group of us walked to the theater to buy discount student tickets to a ballet on the 29th. I also picked out a concert that I want to see, but we weren't able to buy tickets yet (they haven't been released yet!). But this means that we'll have at least two opportunities to dress up and go see a concert/ballet/fancy event.

We split into smaller groups on the way back, with my group finding a Scandinavian kitchen supply store near the Duomo (where Ian and I both went "my heritage!") and then stumbling across a fabulous gelateria who's claim to fame is the fact that they only use all natural, fresh ingredients. I had stracciatella (chocolate chip) and it might have made me melt a little bit.

After our daily gelato time, we headed to the library, where I filled out a form that will grant me internet access at the library (kind of nice to have that) and then headed back up to the children's section. I think I have a new favorite Italian book, titled Un Giorno con Miffy (or, A Day with Miffy) - which, I'm proud to say, I was able to read in its entirety.

Yep. I read this.

Yes, it's a lift the flap book, but in a world where I have to put down some of the more advanced early reader books, I was happy to find something that I could read and comprehend. It's the little things. I found out that Miffy was on vacation from school and that she liked jam on her bread at breakfast time; she likes playing outside with her friends, and she thinks flowers are pretty. I think Miffy and I could get along just fine.

I also talked with a small child in the library (well, mostly just played peek-a-boo, but still, I did get to ask if she liked the book she was reading). When Ian and I finally left the library we said "Ciao" and waved to her, and she very enthusiastically waved back and replied "ciao!!!"

Dinner at the apartment was a radicchio bake (it smelled like mushroom pizza, but Sarah and I found after we finished it that it was in fact chicory), three types of cheese (so much that I could hardly finish it all), steamed zucchini, and grapes. I also finally managed to tell Anna that I want the recipe for her steamed zucchini! (Last time, she thought I was trying to say that I was going to a cooking school in Florence.)

After dinner, Gretchen and I went for a walk around our neighborhood (the perks of only living a block apart) and then finalized our group plans for tomorrow - a trip to the Boboli gardens!

For now, I'm just excited that I get to sleep in a little tomorrow. Like I said, it's the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment