Monday, September 10, 2012

Florence, Day 8

Good news: the quiz went well! Isa and I actually got nervous afterwards because it was a little too easy. Luigi did manage to freak us out though, by waiting until we had all finished and put down our pencils to tell us that he had "forgotten to tell us about the most important part of the quiz" - drawing a small picture on the first page. I ended up drawing a city skyline and a little stick figure guy lighting up the Batman symbol. Luigi actually thought it was pretty good and told us all that he liked the Batman movies.

After our coffee break (between class sessions), two of the Italian classes (all ACM students) met up to go to the open market that we've been frequenting to do a language scavenger hunt. We had to talk to people and look or ask for certain prices and products. Isa and I finished relatively quickly, so we hit up one of the dried fruit stands, which, it turned out, was run by a Japanese woman who had attended Linguaviva when she first moved to Florence!  I bought a bag of dried apricots (albiocche) and apples (mele). The vendor was funny - when she found out Isa and I went to Linguaviva, she gave us other fruit to try and didn't charge us for it. So I paid for my apples and apricots, but also got dried mandarin oranges and some cherries, which were both quite tasty. Unfortunately, I have a weakness for dried apricots and apples, so I finished my bag much too quickly.

Back at Linguaviva, we got our homework assignments for the next class and then were dismissed for the day. Lunch was more bread, salami, and mozzarella (still tastes just as good). Afterwards we explored more of the city and ended up going shopping at H&M.

Then it was daily gelato time (peach and mixed berry this time) and a nice long talk with Isa. Once I got back to the apartment, Sarah and I went down the street to the neighborhood supermarket to buy some food for lunches.

We could smell dinner almost before we opened the front door after grocery shopping. Anna made homemade pizza (individual sized, for our convenience), roast rabbit (which was a total surprise to us - we thought it was chicken!), steamed zucchini (which I again tried to get the recipe for. It still hasn't worked.), and apples. We had another guest at dinner tonight: Anna's friend Vittoria. The two of them have apparently biked all over Europe together, which Sarah and I thought was pretty awesome. It was also cool to hear Anna and Vittoria converse - such fast conversation! We were totally lost. Thankfully, when they wanted to talk to us, things slowed down. Vittoria also speaks a little bit of English, which was helpful.

But now it's time for bed. We're headed to Siena and Greve tomorrow morning, so I'll be up bright and early!

No comments:

Post a Comment